SOMETHING ALWAYS

"Even in the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings."_Ralph Waldo Emerson


Hello,
 
EMERSON'S WORDS
Emerson summarized in one line, the certainty that, if paying attention, there is always something good to look forward, even when we think our world is crumbling into pieces. His words, clearly remind me that life does not stop after a calamity, there is always a ray of light in the dark. Life situations and events resemble a rubber band that can be stretch almost to the point of breaking, only to be release at the last moment, just as we feel it cannot stand any longer, testing our most hidden skills for survival. Indeed, Emerson’s words remind me that something beautiful always, always sings

IN CONSTANT CHANGE
Ever since I can remember, it has always been difficult for me to adapt to a new schedule, a new city, a new job, a new situation. I like being in my comfort zone, my space, my easy life. I am not oppose to changes, though; but I prefer things the way they had always been. But the world, being in constant change, surprises me with its constant and rapid transformation, the unappetizing state of mind that is left behind me, makes me dizzy.

Change could represent pain, danger, compromise. I do not know why things happen this way or that, but they do, and when I looked back at my past, it automatically injects an extra dose of painful nostalgic yearning for simplicity. We live in a world that dies and renews itself, but what's gone is gone, and strangely as it seems, despise the strong yearnings; there is singing everywhere I look, weather I choose to look at my past with nostalgia, or at my possible future with excitement.

THE LIST
I tend to remember my past with a sense of awe, either because, I choose not to recall the bad memories or, because I feel completely healed from unpleasant experiences, I do not know. When I was younger, it was easier to adapt to changes. The decade of the 80's proved to be full of upheaval, and I lived through it all with ease.

Everything was changing, and technology was not an exception, new models were introduced to the masses at the speed of light that obviously, changed the whole world and also the way I see it. Suddenly, to my advantage, I was able to used modern innovations never seen before, to isolate myself when difficult times hit.

I have made a list of some of the most innovated technology items from the 80's that left a long lasting mark in my life. Throughout all of my childhood and adolescence, the used of them, helped me filter out all the mud and scum of things, and after all these years, their fond memory continues doing so.
  • LONG PLAYS
  • ATARI
  • WALK-MAN
  • CASSETTE TAPES
  • VHS
As the years rolled by, the memories of this technology had become a healing ointment to my wounds. The technological changes I'd experienced then, compressed the comfortable life I recognize now. However, due to the endless hours of entertainment and education that they brought into my existence, they defined part of who I am. It is not about the technology in itself, though, it is about what they represent in my life. Because of that, If today all hell breaks loose, I would be singing

SINGING IN THE WORLD
As we continue heading towards an uncertain future, we must be prepare for the changes ahead. But that is a topic for another day, meanwhile, I hope you listen to the piano-cello piece I've composed. It tells the story of all of us that wish, somehow, to make the future our past, a piece that comforts the senses because, as we grew older, we long for a simpler life. 

As you listen to the music, I remain optimistic you would hear the singing in the world, and as you listen to it, I also hope, it makes you dance as well. Yes, somehow, the excitement of the future becomes the nostalgia of our past, and despite the beauty or the ugliness of the world, something, always always sings.

Thanks for reading!

Music INFORMATION:
  • Source: Music and Life Notebook
  • Key: C Major/A minor
  • Measures: 48
  • Parts: Cello and Piano
  • Duration: 2:38 min
  • Pages: 4
Anaya, Javier: Something Always
Anaya, Javier
Something Always (Music and Life Notebook)
PDF + MP3
Cello, Piano

Pop / 2022 / Copyright © Anaya Javier

Make a donation to Javier Anaya

Comments

Popular Posts