MARCH

“It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” ― Charles Dickens


Hello Everybody, 

FROM COVER TO COVER
Teaching Little Fingers to Play by John Thompson was my first piano book, I remember the lessons on each page, and how much excitement I felt when it was time to turn the page and learn a new tune. I remember the lyrics and the music. Even to this day, once in awhile, I grab John Thompson's books and play the music. 

Beyer's piano method was another book that I played from cover to cover, it surprised me how much joy I experienced playing all the exercises that most people would regard as monotonous or meaningless. The truth is, practicing has never been an issue for me. I can always play my piece one more time.  

TECHA
I remember the out-of-tune, black piano where I played my first do-re-mi. The school, and the classroom seemed bigger then, than they really are. I did not know much about my first piano teacher. Although, I could tell she was hugely kind and passionate about music; If my memory hasn't failed me, she went by the name Techa, there were rumors she was originally from Puebla City.

The laughter and joy she expressed after we'd, successfully, played a duet, had stayed in my memory. I will esteem that moment for the rest of my life. It is because of her, that I love playing duets. Making music with a group, takes away the isolation and mystery that, musicians, now and then, experience.

ILIANA
There was a second teacher I had in the beginning of my adventure, things were getting more serious, after a while, music was more challenging and it required more effort to learned. The secrets of music were unraveling little by little in front of my own very eyes. 

I remember the clean house, and the upright piano in the living room, and I also remember traveling 45 min to my piano lesson, there, in that well kept house, my teacher, (a middle age, tiny woman) waited for me to arrived, and every Saturday morning we had a piano lesson for a whole hour, I knew she had other students but I never met anybody else. 

My teacher's name was Iliana and she was unstoppable, always very kind, but when it came to music she was very serious, and demanding. I have to admit, I was a little bit intimidated by her demeanor. 
 
BE AFRAID
Baroque and Classical music were her favorite styles to teach: Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, they all were ever present, however, when she played Bach, it came with a warning: “Be afraid”_ she’d said_  “Bach requires patience and diligence, both hands are of equal importance”. Playing music by Bach feels much the same as the month of March, as, I get to experience Summer in the light and Winter in the shade.  

Inarguably, I learned that playing Bach, one must develop military discipline and yes, I am very afraid of Bach's music, but it is equally satisfying to play, nonetheless. And just to be fair, all baroque music requires careful attention and it has my most sincere respect. 

THANK YOU
The elegance, the gentleness, the rapid rhythm of this composition, reminds me of my teacher's driven disposition. It brings to mind, all at once, the fast pace of the lessons and the leisure we took to pay attention to the details. The strict precision of the beat, depicts my teacher Iliana's musical genius, and the seriousness but warm melody, outlines the disposition of my teacher Techa.
 
It's then of no surprise, that the feelings of freedom and determination this music duet provokes in my frame of mind makes me yearn for more. The rhythm resembles a light walk in the park, but nonetheless, at moments, it is like a vicious circle where I find myself confine, but I do not want to escape.

I am dedicating March to my piano teachers, for taking the time and making all the effort to teach me, but more importantly, for inculcating in me, the love for piano music. I would not had accomplished what I did in all these years if it was't for their patience and skills.  

Thank you Techa, 
Thank you Iliana, 
Wherever you may be.

Thanks for reading!

Music INFORMATION:
Source: All year round music Notebook
Key: D Minor
Measures: 48
Parts: Cello and Piano
Duration: 3:00 min
Pages: 4


Anaya, Javier: March
Anaya, Javier
March (All Year Round Music Notebook)
PDF + MP3
Cello, Piano

Pop / 2018 / Copyright © Anaya Javier

Make a donation to Javier Anaya

Comments

Popular Posts